Information to Collect After a Car Accident
It is important that you seek immediate medical attention if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident. Once all relevant emergency personnel have been called (i.e, police, EMS, and/or fire), obtain the following information:
- The full names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance information, drivers’ license numbers and license plate numbers of all the drivers and vehicles involved.
- If a driver does not own the car he or she is driving, also get the name, address, phone number and insurance information of the owner of the vehicle.
- The full names, addresses and phone numbers of any passengers in all of the vehicles, as well as any other witnesses to the accident.
- If the police respond to the scene obtain the officers’ names and badge numbers and the accident report number.
- Take pictures of the damage to the vehicles involved and the scene of the accident. Later, also take pictures of your injuries.
Bre, Cleveland, Ohio
Glen, Canton, Ohio
Observations to Make
In addition, you should also make observations and record notes about the following:
- What was the location of the accident and at what time did it occur?
- In what direction and how fast were the vehicles traveling prior to the accident?
- What were the weather and road conditions at the time of the accident?
- Did any of the motor vehicles have any defects which contributed or caused the accident such as a broken headlight or brake light?
- Who and what caused the accident?
- What parts of the vehicles were damaged from the accident? How significant was the damage?
- Did anyone accept responsibility for the accident or make comments such as: “I was changing the radio station,” or “I was not wearing my glasses,” or “My coffee just spilled on me,” or “I just glanced for a second at a text message,” etc.?
- Did the police respond to the scene and issue anyone a ticket?
- Did the EMS respond to the scene? Was anyone transported to a hospital?
- Were any of the people involved driving a company-owned vehicle or driving as a part of their job?
– COMPLIMENTARY ONE HOUR CONSULTATION
– EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND HOUSE CALLS
– IF NO RECOVERY – NO FEE AND NO EXPENSES