What Should I Do After I Am Injured?
- Do not leave the location of where you were injured.
- Keep calm and ask for the help of others who might be available to assist you.
- Call an ambulance if necessary.
- If you are injured on commercial property, ask to speak with a person in charge and fill out an incident report. Ask to get a copy of this report.
- Identify witnesses and get their names, addresses, phone numbers, and statements.
- If you are able to, take photographs of anything that might be relevant to what happened. Later, also take photos of your injuries.
- If anyone appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, notify the appropriate authority, emergency personnel, or even police immediately.
- Seek appropriate medical care.
- Contact a personal injury law firm and schedule a free consultation as soon as possible.
Martin, Medina, Ohio
Personal Injury Law is Our Expertise
Who should I report the accident to?
Whether you were injured on private, public or commercial property, you need to report your injury immediately to the proper authority. This may include EMS, fire department, and even police officers if they are called to the scene, to substantiate your claim. If you were injured on commercial property you need to ask to speak to the owner, manager, or other person in charge and complete an incident report if at all possible. Ask to obtain a copy of it after you are finished writing it as well. Take your time and fill out the report as thoroughly as possible and do not minimize your injuries because these early statements will be referred to later in your claim as evidence.
Reporting your injury to the proper authority will help document what happened, why it happened, how it happened, and the nature and extent of your injuries. It also will help prove who is negligent and needs to be held responsible. It will further serve to will buttress the legitimacy of your claim and injuries later and preserve any evidence that is still available.
When should I contact an attorney?
After you have received appropriate medical care, you should schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. When you contact us, we will discuss with you all aspects of your accident and injuries and give you some pertinent information and advice about making a claim. If you retain us to represent you, we will immediately conduct a thorough investigation to document the facts of what happened before any evidence is lost or destroyed. It will also prevent insurance company investigators and adjusters from contacting you directly to ask you questions and take recorded statements.
– COMPLIMENTARY ONE HOUR CONSULT
– EVENINGS, WEEKENDS & HOUSE CALLS
– IF NO RECOVERY, NO FEE OR EXPENSES