Most people in Ohio do not think about being involved in a collision with a large commercial truck. However, these accidents do occur, and they often lead to significant injuries for those inside traditional passenger vehicles. At Paulozzi LPA Injury Lawyers, our Cleveland truck accident lawyers are experienced in truck insurance policy limits and how they can play a role in the aftermath of a collision.

Insurance policies are vital in these situations

Just like any other vehicle on the roadway, commercial trucks must be adequately insured. In most situations, federal law requires commercial trucks to carry a minimum amount of insurance coverage to pay for damages and injuries in the event an accident occurs. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the agency that regulates commercial trucks and buses in the country, trucking companies must obtain liability coverage.

In order for a commercial truck company to get its Operating Authority (MC number), the FMCSA requires that the company first get public liability insurance for both bodily injury and property damage. The following minimum coverages required in these situations depends on the type of freight being hauled.

  • Non-hazardous freight moved in vehicles under 10,001 lbs.
    • $300,000
  • Non-hazardous freight in vehicles over 10,001 lbs.
    • $750,000
  • Oil moved by For-Hire & Private Carriers
    • $1,000,000
  • Other Hazardous Material moved by For-Hire & Private Carriers
    • $5,000,000

These are the bare minimums set in place by the FMCSA. Many shippers and brokers require that trucks have a liability limit of at least $1 million regardless of what type of material they are hauling.

Other types of insurance

In order for a truck company to get their MC number for a vehicle, they will need to show proof of public liability insurance. However, trucking companies may have other types of insurance, as well. This can include the following:

  • Cargo insurance: This type of insurance covers the goods that are hauled in the trailer. This is not required under FMCSA regulations, but most interstate owner-operators carry this type of insurance anyway.
  • Bobtail insurance: Bobtail insurance is designed to cover truck drivers and their semi-truck when they are not hauling a trailer or load. For example, if a driver drops their load in one spot and then drives to another area to pick up another load for a different company, bobtail insurance will cover the transit to the new location.

Call our truck accident lawyers for a free consultation

If you or somebody you love has been injured in an accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of a truck driver in Ohio, contact Paulozzi LPA Injury Lawyers for help today. Our attorneys will conduct a full investigation into the incident, so we can secure full compensation on your behalf. We will not hesitate to stand up to trucking companies or aggressive insurance carriers as we work to ensure you are properly cared for. When you need a Cleveland truck accident lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 888-710-0040.

Call Us
Text Us